The Boys and Girls Club of Kamloops began as the Boys Club of Kamloops in 1955 and was registered as a Society on March 29, 1955. The two individuals who were the driving force behind the development of this organization were Keith Pattinson, a young photographer for the Kamloops Sentinel Newspaper, and Harold Foulger, an RCMP officer. Within the first year, the Boys Club became a member of the national organization known as the Boys' Clubs of Canada.
In 1971 the City sold the property for commercial development. The funds from the sale of the building were set aside for the development of a new Youth Centre. As this process was underway, the Club ran programs at the Christian Education Centre on St. Paul Street where it operated for another two years. But the Club needed more room, so school gymnasiums were the sites for Club programs in 1973. With the start of this satellite programming, girls began to participate in the Club's many activities.
1971 + 1973
After surveys and opinion polls, construction of a new youth centre was started on McArthur Island in 1974. The new home of the Boys and Girls Club of Kamloops was officially opened on February 2, 1975. On November 17, 1975, the name of the Club was changed to the Boys and Girls Club of Kamloops.
With the Club settled in its new home, members enjoyed the new facilities and membership grew. As the Club continued to look at the needs of children and youth in the community, it was apparent that after school care was lacking for the children of working families.
The Club opened its first school age childcare program at the McArthur Island Youth Centre in 1981.